Saturday, February 12, 2011

Update from inside the Capitol: Beverly May

Bev May lives on Wilson Creek in Floyd County, Kentucky, on property that has been in her family for five generations.  She is a family nurse practitioner who cares for the uninsured and homeless.  Her story can be seen in the award-winning film, Deep Down (deepdownfilm.org).



"I think that as with the civil disobedience that I participated in in Washington, D.C., in September, this has given me the renewed appreication and pride that I live in a democracy.  I used to believe that the most important thing that I owned was my nursing license.  And I now realize that the most important thing I own is FREE SPEECH.  And isn't it wonderful that everyone has that?  We just have to use that more often.

"I think we've communicated the urgency of the situation in Eastern Kentucky and put the issue of surface mining and its impact on the lives of all Kentuckians on the public agenda.  I think we've started a conversation with the Governor that was civil and respectful and was returned in kind.  But it was just a start.  We've got a long way to go."

To speak with Bev, call 859-779-1594.

1 comment: